Cost of recipe approx. R140.00
- 500g ground beef (lean preferably)
- 2 cans beans of your choice (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 170g tomato paste
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 cup chicken/vegetable stock
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (as to your heat preference)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Heat a pot with a little bit of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground beef into the pot and cook until evenly browned. On another pan fry the chopped onion and pepper for about 5 minutes (or until onions are translucent) in a little cooking oil. Add to the pot.
- Now add in the drained beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, basil, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste.
- Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day. Serve with cheese, onions, sour cream, or whatever chili toppings you prefer!
- Tip: If you have some bacon, you can chop and fry it and add to the browned mince for extra flavour.
Tip: If you have some bacon, you can chop and fry it and add to the browned mince for extra flavour. Recipe adapted from www.bakerita.com