Cost of recipe approx. R65.00
- 200ml Red Split Lentils – for a firmer lentil you can substitute with brown or green lentils
- 200ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Onion
- 1 Thumb-sized knob of fresh ginger
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 200g Spinach
- 1 tbsp veg/chicken stock powder
- 1 tbsp mild/hot curry powder
- Peel and grate your garlic and ginger. Finely dice your onion.
- Place a saucepan/pot (that has a lid) on a medium heat with a drizzle of olive/canola oil. When hot, add your garlic, ginger, onion, and some salt and fry for about 3-4 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Shift occasionally. Add your stock and curry powder and fry for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add your red lentils and 400ml of water. Bring to a simmer. When simmering, reduce your heat to low-medium, pop on your lid. Let cook for 10-12 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Deseed and dice your red pepper. Rinse the spinach, cut out the thick veins and chop into smaller pieces.
- Place a frying pan over a medium-high heat with a drizzle of cooking oil. When hot, add your diced red pepper and pan-fry for 2-4 minutes, shifting occasionally. Remove from the pan on completion and season with salt.
- Once your red lentils are cooked, add your spinach, red pepper and the coconut milk (reserve some for garnish). Stir to combine, pop the lid on to help the spinach cook for about 3-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Should your dahl need more liquid, simply add a bit of water.
- Plate up your dahl, drizzle over the remaining coconut milk and serve with toasted bread, pita bread or rice.
Recipe adapted from www.ucook.co.za