Cost of recipe R75.00
- 2 Tablespoons olive/canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 orange/red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tins diced tomatoes
- 4–6 eggs
- 1–2 teaspoons hot/mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Fresh coriander and parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic to the pan and cook until onions are soft and fragrant — _about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add spices, salt and pepper. Give the mixture a stir and cook for about 1 minute more. Add diced tomatoes to the skillet and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens up a bit, about 10 minutes. Add feta cheese to the tomato mixture and stir (optional).
- Crack eggs into tomato sauce. You should be able to fit 4-6 eggs in a large skillet. Cover and let the eggs cook for about 5 minutes, or until the egg whites are completely cooked through. Remove skillet from heat, uncover and let sit for a 1-2 minutes before serving.
- Spoon 1-2 eggs along with a big serving of tomato sauce on to each plate. Garnish with extra feta cheese and fresh coriander and parsley if you want to. Serve with toast, veggies or over a whole grain like brown rice for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from www.eatingbirdfood.com