Cost of recipe approx. R100
- 3 tablespoons olive/canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced finely
- 500g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice (like Basmati)
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet or pan, fry onions in two tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
- Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 more minute.
- Push chicken to one side of the pan and add additional tablespoon of olive oil to other side.
- Add the uncooked rice in the olive oil and fry it for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for about 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Recipe adapted from www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com